Friday, July 18, 2008

The Secret and Control

One of the big problems I have with The Secret is the idea that we are ultimately in control of everything.

Yes, I do like to feel in control: I try to control my time with good time management principles, I try to control my health with good eating and exercise, I’d rather be a driver than a passenger in a vehicle, and of course, give me the remote for the TV!

I like to feel in control, and I agree that we each have a locus of control, but I know I’m not ultimately in control. And, given how self-centered we are, how limited our knowledge is, both of ourselves and the world and reality, would it really be a good thing if we were in total control? How can you have full control without full knowledge?

I guess it's time to show one of my philosophical cards. Here’s a foundational belief of mine: There’s one God, and it ain’t you!

1 comment:

Rich Hopkins said...

We are not in control of others, or of the world, but we are certainly in control of ourselves, our actions, and our reactions TO others and the world. I think to many people err on the side of thinking they have NO control than the other. God could control us, but chooses not to, instead giving us free will.

I may not be God, but I am in control of my actions, if not always my results.